Digesting the lowest rung of pop culture so you don't have to!
Leftover Questions: ‘The Dark Knight Rises’ Edition
July 23, 2012Posted by on
After thinking about and fully digesting the latest Batman movie, elements of the story started to really fall apart for me. It was a lot of little things that did not quite add up. So, in the spirit of Zack’s earlier Prometheus edition, I offer my own leftover burning questions I had from the newest Batman flick.
Please, feel free to leave comments regarding these questions. It is possible that some of these questions were answered in the movie. The movie is pretty dense, so it is possible that I missed a few things. If my questions get answered using stuff from the movie (and not just fan speculation), I will gladly cross them off the list!
Also, this is article is going to be full of spoilers. If you have not seen the movie yet, turn back now.
1. Why does Bane engage in an elaborate escape sequence from a CIA plane to capture a doctor when he already had the doctor to begin with?
2. What did Bruce Wayne actually do each day for the past eight years? How come he didn’t have at least a passing interest in what his company was doing?
3. How come no one cares that the hero police commissioner was mysteriously attacked and shot in the sewers?
4. How would bankrupting Bruce Wayne allow the nefarious business man to control Wayne Enterprises?
5. Why does the nefarious business man contact Bane, of all people, to attack the Gotham Stock Exchange? Didn’t the movie imply that Bane was a known terrorist by the CIA? Aren’t there plenty of other criminal masterminds not wanted by the US government he could contact?
6. Why does Bane agree to attack the Gotham Stock Exchange? What advantage does that provide other than making his presence known which, given his plan, is something he likely wouldn’t want?
7. Why are there no repercussions (such as a suspension) for the deputy commissioner casually agreeing to stop pursing a man who basically committed a terrorist attack to go after Batman?
8. Why does Selina wear black leather and a mask consistently when it is clear she doesn’t care if her identity is known?
9. Why does Selina wear impractical heels while preforming acrobatic feats?
10. Why does Bruce trust Miranda so quickly?
11. What purpose does Miranda becoming Wayne Enterprises CEO do for her master plan?
12. How does Selina know Bane? How does she know where he is? Why does Batman not question any of this and then be surprised that it was a trap?
13. How come the prisoners in the hole keep referring to the child that escaped with genderless pronouns?
14. How come Bruce never asked if the child that escaped was Bane? Or, if he did, how come the “prison Alfred” didn’t correct him?
15. Why does everyone turn on the wealthy?
16. In the world of cell phones and wireless internet, how come the Gordon’s group couldn’t contact the outside world, especially since we see that electricity and television still worked?
17. How come no civilian resistance group pops up to confront Bane? Does the movie mean to suggest that Gotham is completely devoid of any former military service men and women that would rise up and organize?
18. Why do all the inmates ally themselves with Bane so quickly? Are not most former mob bosses or enforcers? Wouldn’t they go out and reform their gangs?
19. How come the US military cannot sneak into Gotham to take down Bane? Isn’t this the same military that dethroned Saddam in 2003?
20. How can Bruce easily sneak back into Gotham without being detected?
21. Miranda claims to have hated her father, but feels the need to avenge him and carry out his plan. Why?
22. How will the orphan center never discover the entrance to the Batcave?
23. Who actually names their son Robin?
24. How does John Blake actually intend to become Batman? From what we know, the guy doesn’t have the money, resources, training, or level of intelligence that Bruce has.
25. How come this list turned out to be much longer than I intended?