Digesting the lowest rung of pop culture so you don't have to!
Leftover Questions: Prometheus Edition
June 11, 2012Posted by on
Note: This write up contains spoilers. Read at your own risk. Additionally, I am on vacation and posting this on an iPad. So please dont expect perfect grammar on my part!!
I have had a few days to digest Ridley Scott’s Prometheus and I have a few burning questions left that I’d like to bring up for discussion. Please feel free to leave comments regarding these questions. Thanks to Nick for an assist on these questions (and I am sure he’ll have his own theories as well).
1. Perhaps the most important question I have from the film is this: Why would the engineers leave symbols all over earth of a map that leads to a bio-weapons development facility?
2. Why would the most expensive, most important space mission of all time have a crew of only 17?
3. Why are Dr. Shaw’s dreams viewed from a 3rd person perspective, and why do her dreams recount factual events as they happened?
4. How come two ostensibly intelligent scientists with tracker beacons and HUDs can get lost so easily in a cave it seemed to take the others 5 minutes to walk out of?
5. Why does the captain seem to relish in the fact that these stressed men are obviously terrified? Does he not care about reassuring his frightened crew?
6. Who told David to infect Dr. Holloway and for what purpose? Why risk the doctor’s life after the film has gone to great length to explain just how important he and Shaw are?
7. Why would the crew, obviously aware of quarantine protocol, let Fifield’s reanimated corpse back into the ship? Why does the captain seem to not even care that the monster just killed 6 of his crew?
8. Why did the awakened engineer almost immediately kill everyone in the alien ship stasis chamber?
These are my burning questions. What are yours?