Twitter UpdatesMy Tweets
Digesting the lowest rung of pop culture so you don't have to!
I saw Jurassic World this weekend. It was fun movie for what it was and, for modern blockbusters, incredibly restrained in its action – kind of refreshing to see. However, there were just some nagging questions that remained after I left the theater.
There are spoilers, so you have been properly warned!
1. Owen used to be in the Navy which apparently led him to his work with the raptors. What about his naval experience makes him an expert at training wild animals, let alone dinosaurs?
2. What exactly is InGen? In the first two movies, they seemed to be the company that created the dinosaurs. Here, they act as some militarized force of security. What is their relationship to Jurassic World?
3. Why is Owen sexually harassing a supervisor? Sure, he might think it is flirting, but she is clearly not into it, but he keeps going.
4. Speaking of which, how long ago was their first (and only) date? Why is Owen coming off this strong/creepy after only one date (that neither one of them actually seemed to enjoy).
5. Does Owen really live in a van down by the river?
6. Why didn’t anybody check right away for the I-Rex’s tracking device when they failed to notice the heat signature in paddock?
7. How come Owen is the only one in the entire park that ever notices something strange or realizes a bad idea?
8. Why does the control room give her the silent blame treatment after the first I-Rex attack? That was completely outside her control and, to be fair, not really her responsibility in the first place.
9. Why doesn’t Jurassic World have any sort of override in place to prevent exactly what the two kids did with the gyrosphere?
10. How come Jurassic World has absolutely no contingency plans in case any of the dinosaurs get loose? Granted, the I-Rex is a new dinosaur, so they are learning the ropes with her, but what about the pterosaurs?
11. Speaking of that, why breed pterosaurs (or that many) in the first place since they cannot be easily contained?
12. How come the I-Rex is able to display new abilities right when the movie needs her to? Did she read the script? She probably read the script.
13. How come what the I-Rex was genetically culled from was classified to the park trainers and, of all people, Masrani? Shouldn’t that be something the CEO is automatically be allowed to know?
14. For that matter, before beginning, how come Masrani didn’t give a final approval?
15. How come Jurassic World’s designers not cannibalize the remains of the old park? Why were there cars, tools, and other useful items just abandoned?
16. How did the I-Rex get inside the old park visitor center when was in-closed and the doors were shut?
17. How did the kids get the old jeeps working? True, they were able to quickly swap out an engine (somehow), but where did they get the gas from to operate it? And if they did have gas, how is that gas even still good after 20 years?
18. Why does Owen (who has a gun) do absolutely nothing to help Hoskins from getting eaten? Sure, he didn’t care for the guy, but Owen pretty much allows him to die.
19. Where did all the visitors go after the pterosaur attack? Were they completely ferried off the island before the final showdown?
20. How can Claire outrun a T-Rex in high heels? How can she outrun a T-Rex, period?
21. Why does the 4th raptor coming running out to attack the I-Rex? Shouldn’t that raptor still think the I-Rex is her alpha since she wasn’t there when Owen reestablished his connection with the other three?
22. Why do the T-Rex and the raptor have a bro moment? Doesn’t that go against everything else established about these creatures in this film series so far?
23. How does Lowery make his way out of the control center? He was the last one there and the ferries are a good mile (or more) away with a T-Rex and Raptor on the loose.